The late Tepa Mostert

The late Tepa Mostert
With Birthday Flowers

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Tepa Recovering from Strokes

August 26th Tepa suffered two strokes and was hospitalized at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana for five days then transferred to the Champaign-Urbana Regional Rehab Center in Savoy, about two miles from our home. Except for a three day period when she returned to the hospital for a check-up on a urinary tract infection, she spent 8 weeks at the Rehab Center receiving physical, vocational and speech therapy. The strokes caused more cognitive problems than physical ones as were caused when she had a stroke five years ago. It took her some time before she really knew what had happened and where she was and why she was there. There are still some residual effects from that earlier stroke.

I was able to bring her home October 16th when they decided she was doing well enough that I could take care of her with some occasional help. We have physical therapists come in twice a week and a nurse once a week, while a vocational therapist came in once and said Tepa needed to be able to walk better before she could really help her much.  Tepa has a hard time walking, she mostly moves around in her wheel chair.
I have to help her get dressed, in and out of bed, to a portable pot in her bedroom.She has replaced her old recliner with a new Queen Anne Recliner from Macy's.  That's where she is sitting right now.

We have rearranged our furniture so our living/dining room has furniture around the outside with a large open space in the middle. As usually I do all the cleaning, shopping and cooking.

I am doing fine, as my lymphoma cancer has been in remission almost a year now.  I still need to visit the restroom about once every two or three hours.

We love hearing from our family and friends, especially from our two oldest granchildren Kylie and Kristian Mostert (Kari and Gina's oldest) who are currently serving missions for our LDS faith. in New Mexico and Nevada.

No comments: